Pursuant to CMS regulation, the ESRD Network 18 Board of Directors must include:
- Representatives from a variety of healthcare settings, not to exceed 20 total members;
- At least one consumer representative;
- A membership under which at least two-thirds of its members are independent and have not been compensated by the Network within the last year for non-Network Board services;
- A membership of which officers comprise no more than 20 percent;
- A cap of six (6) years of consecutive service, with a possible exemption of one (1) member when the board consists of 1-5 members and an exemption of two (2) members with the board consisting of 6-10 members. No Network Board member shall exceed nine (9) consecutive years of service; and
- Reimbursement for all reasonable travel expenses incurred by the member in connection with attending a meeting. For purposes of the reimbursement of travel expenses, “reasonable expenses” shall be determined by the Corporation in accordance with the General Services Administration’s regulations. A member who attends a meeting by electronic communications shall not be entitled to receive any travel expense reimbursement for that meeting.
The composition of Network 18 Board of Directors and Medical Review Board is as follows:
Board of Directors
|Member Name||Position||Date of Appointment||Affiliation|
|Katrina Russell, RN, CNN||Chair||January 2016||Dialysis Consulting Group|
|Scott A. Rasgon, MD||Vice Chair||January 2016||Kaiser Permanente|
|Joseph Lee, MD||Member||January 2016||Fresenius Medical Care|
|Louie Gabiola, RN||Member||January 2016||DaVita|
|Anthony J. Messana, BS||Member||January 2016||St. Joseph’s Hospital|
|Dylan L. Steer, MD (ESCO)||Member||January 2016||Balboa Nephrology Medical Group|
|David L. Rosenbloom|
|Joanna Y. Galeas|
Medical Review Board
|Member Name||Position||Date of Appointment|
|Katrina Russell, RN, CNN||Chair||January 2016 – 2018|
|Scott A. Rasgon, MD||Vice-Chair||January 2016 – 2018|
|Joseph Lee, MD||Member||January 2016 – 2018|
|Louie Gabiola, RN||Member||January 2016 – 2018|
|Anthony J Messana, BS||Member||January 2016 – 2018|
|Dylan L Steer, MD||Member||January 2016 – 2018|
|David L Rosenbloom||Member||January 2016 – 2018|
|Joanna Y Galeas||Member||January 2016 – 2018|
|David L. Rosenbloom||Transplant recipient|
|Joanna Y. Galeas||Transplant recipient|
|Patient Advisory Council|
|Joy DeMarco Lewin|
|Joanna Y. Galeas|
Appointments of board members will occur at the expiration of a present member’s term. The number of appointments may vary each year.
ESRD Network 18 recognizes the importance of maintaining an environment founded on the core principals of integrity, honesty, and respect. This kind of environment, one in which ethical responsibility is of the utmost importance, directly contributes to our continued success in the healthcare services industry. ESRD Network 18 has a long standing, deep commitment to conducting business ethically, morally, and within the bounds of the law. The Compliance Program remains an outgrowth of this commitment.
You Can Make a Difference in the Lives of Kidney Patients
How to Volunteer for Network 18 Boards and Committees!
ESRD Network 18 strives to improve the quality of care and quality of life for all Southern California ESRD patients. Renal professionals play a key role in meeting this goal. To be successful, the Network utilizes the service of more than 40 professional and patient volunteers to serve on its Board of Directors (BOD), Medical Review Board (MRB), Patient Advisory Committee (PAC), and Network Council (NC).
In general, the Network is looking for potential candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to improving the quality and experience of care for ESRD patients and a desire to participate in one of the Network’s Boards or Committees. Candidates may include patients, administrators, nephrologists, vascular surgeons, transplant surgeons, nephrology nurses, transplant nurses, social workers, registered dietitians, and patient care technicians from Southern California ESRD facilities. Both adult and pediatric specialty professionals are encouraged to apply.
Patients and providers interested in volunteering for committees are encouraged to submit an Expression of Interest Form. Vacancies and term limits vary depending upon the Board or Committee. Members will be reimbursed for travel and expenses.
The Network will consider a wide range of factors in filling volunteer positions, including but not limited to expertise, knowledge, facility affiliation, geographic region, and diversity.
In deciding whether or not you may wish to express your interest in serving Network 18, we ask that you carefully consider the following responsibilities:
- Regularly attend meetings; both in-person and via teleconference
- BOD – 4 meetings per year either virtually or in-person
- MRB – 1 in-person and 3 virtual meetings per year; occasional ad hoc meetings
- PAC – 1 in-person and 3 virtual meetings per year
- NC – 1 in-person and 2 virtual meetings per year per year
- Participate actively in Board/Committee work
- Volunteer for and accept assignments as needed
- Prepare for meetings and remain informed about the Network’s mission, services, policies, and programs
- Assist the Board/Committee in carrying out its individual responsibilities
- Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies
A brief summary of the Network 18 volunteer roles follows.
Board of Directors
- Review contractual and financial performance of the Network’s administrative staff in meeting contract deliverables and requirements as well as responding to CMS’ requests;
- Oversee the Internal Quality Control program;
- Review and approve the Annual Report prior to submission to the CMS Contracting Officer Representative; and
- Review and approve any recommendations from the Medical Review Board to sanction ESRD facilities (prior to submission to CMS).
Medical Review Board
- Serve as an advisory panel on the care and appropriate placement of patients with ESRD receiving dialysis in Southern California;
- Serve as the primary advisory panel for all Network 18 quality improvement activities, including the analyses of local data on the Clinical Performance Measures and for ESRD grievances;
- Assist staff in the development, implementation, and evaluation of quality improvement projects; and
- Participate in onsite visits to assess current status of providers that are under focused review and/or sanction consideration.
Patient Advisory Committee
- Assist in identifying barriers to obtaining quality health care from all perspectives on behalf of ESRD beneficiaries;
- Assist with the development of educational models for patients via website, newsletter, or teleconference;
- Review and make recommendations regarding beneficiary-related health care messages, materials, and activities planned by the Network; and
- Provide feedback on effectiveness of Network 18’s beneficiary-related activities and assist the Network in recruiting other beneficiaries to obtain their perspectives.
- Provide input into the activities of the Network and serve as a liaison between the Network and the provider community;
- Assist in identifying the on-going needs of Southern California’s renal community;
- Make recommendations on programs, activities, and approaches to address the renal community’s needs and issues; and
- Generate ideas for new activities and approaches, and engaging renal partners in existing Network activities.
Anyone interested in being considered for a volunteer position with the Network BOD, MRB, PAC, or NC is encouraged to complete and submit an Expression of Interest Form to the Network 18 office via fax at 888-280-8669. If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie Hutchinson, Executive Director at 888-268-1539.